Stay updated on August 1, 2023, with the latest national, international, business, sci-tech, sports, and miscellaneous news.
Welcome to the daily current affairs roundup for August 1, 2023. Stay informed with the most significant news from India and around the world, covering topics from politics and sports to technology and business.
August 1, 2023 Daily Current Affairs
- Commission for Other Backward Classes Submits Sub-Categorization Report to the President On July 31, 2023, the Commission for Other Backward Classes (OBCs) submitted its sub-categorization report to the President of India. The report aims to study entries in the Central List of OBCs, correct any errors, and work out equitable reservation benefits. This move is expected to address the diverse needs of various OBC communities and enhance the effectiveness of reservation policies.
- DD Sports to Broadcast State Final Rounds of Fit India Quiz 2022 Starting on August 1, 2023, DD Sports will broadcast the State final rounds of the Fit India Quiz 2022. The quiz involves 36 episodes, with each episode featuring the finals of one State. The competition showcases 4 teams from each State competing in the National Fitness and Sports Quiz for Schools. The 2nd edition of the quiz saw significant participation, with 61,981 students from 16,702 schools taking part, reflecting a 70% increase compared to the first edition.
- C-DOT Signs Consortium Agreement for Indigenous 5G RAN Solution C-DOT, the Telecom R&D Centre, signed a consortium agreement with industry partners to develop a Disaggregated 5G Radio Access Network Solution. The initiative is under the ‘C-DOT Collaborative Research Program 2022 (CCRP-2022),’ aimed at promoting indigenous telecom products. The goal is to create an O-RAN compliant 5G RAN solution, fostering India’s self-reliance in the 5G space and enabling the country to become a global supplier of affordable 5G solutions.
- June 2023 CPI-IW Reports Increased Inflation The Consumer Price Index for Industrial Workers (CPI-IW) for June 2023 increased by 1.7 points and stood at 136.4. The one-month percentage change was 1.26%, compared to 0.16% a year ago. The Food & Beverages group contributed the most to the increase. Year-on-year inflation for June was 5.57%, with food inflation at 6.00%. The next CPI-IW report for July 2023 will be released on August 31, 2023.
- Vice Admiral Biswajit Dasgupta Bids Farewell to Eastern Naval Command Vice Admiral Biswajit Dasgupta, Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Eastern Naval Command (ENC), bid farewell on his superannuation after over 38 years of service. During his tenure, ENC saw high operational activity, including crucial operations like Op Kaveri and Op Karuna. The farewell ceremony was attended by all Flag Officers and Commanding Officers, followed by the traditional ‘Pulling Out’ ceremony.
- Parliament Passes Cinematograph (Amendment) Bill 2023 The Parliament of India passed the Cinematograph (Amendment) Bill, 2023, aiming to fight piracy and promote the film industry. The amendments include strict punishment for piracy, perpetual validity of film licenses, and age-based certification. The Indian film industry, producing over 3,000 films annually in various languages, will benefit from this historic legislation, addressing piracy and empowering the film sector.
- Government Announces Re-Issue of Government Securities The Government of India announced the re-issue of four government securities through price-based auctions. The securities include “6.99% GS 2026,” “7.17% GS 2030,” “7.18% GS 2037,” and “7.25% GS 2063,” with varying notified amounts. Additional subscriptions are also possible for each security. The auctions will be conducted on August 04, 2023, with results announced on the same day, and payment by successful bidders on August 07, 2023. The securities will be eligible for “When Issued” trading as per RBI guidelines.
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana Achieves Significant Milestone As of July 12, 2023, the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) achieved 49.49 crore bank accounts with total deposits amounting to Rs 2,00,958 crore since its inception in August 2014. The scheme aims to provide universal banking services to every unbanked household by offering zero balance bank accounts and various banking facilities.
- Foreign Nationals and NRIs Can Now Use UPI in India Foreign nationals and Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) visiting India can now use Unified Payments Interface (UPI) for merchant payments at select international airports. NRIs with international mobile numbers linked to their NRE/NRO accounts can also use UPI. The move is part of the RBI’s efforts to expand UPI internationally and promote digital payments.
- Core Industries Register 8.2% Growth in June 2023 In June 2023, the provisional combined Index of Eight Core Industries (ICI) in India increased by 8.2% compared to June 2022. Production of various core industries, including Steel, Coal, Cement, Refinery Products, Natural Gas, Fertilizers, and Electricity, showed notable growth. The cumulative growth rate of ICI for April to June 2023-24 is 5.8% (provisional) compared to the same period last year.
- India Racing to Become a Leader in Electric Vehicles India is aiming to electrify 30% of its fleet by 2030, and various incentives and policies are in place to promote the EV market. The country currently has 13,34,385 EVs and is expected to become the world’s third-largest EV market by 2030. To support the EV transition, the government has allocated funds and implemented schemes like FAME India and PLI.
- C-DOT Initiates Collaborative 5G RAN Development C-DOT signed a consortium agreement with industry partners for collaborative development of a Disaggregated 5G Radio Access Network Solution. This initiative aims to create an O-RAN compliant 5G RAN solution, fostering India’s self-reliance in the 5G space and enabling the country to be a global supplier of affordable 5G solutions.
- AWS India Collaborates with DGT for Skilling Programs in Emerging Technologies The Directorate General of Training (DGT) is partnering with Amazon Web Services (AWS) India to provide skilling programs in emerging technologies like cloud computing, data annotation, AI, and ML to students of ITIs and NSTIs. The initiative aims to develop a skilled workforce in high-demand technologies and drive innovation in various industries.
- NAQUIM and CGWB’s Initiatives for Groundwater Management The Central Ground Water Board (CGWB) has initiated the National Aquifer Mapping and Management Programme (NAQUIM) to map and characterize aquifers for effective groundwater management. CGWB also tackles urban flooding through various programs like Jal Shakti Abhiyan and Atal Bhujal Yojana, promoting rainwater harvesting and groundwater recharge.
- RBI’s Efforts in Digital Payments and UPI Expansion The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) is actively promoting digital payments and UPI expansion in the country. The e-BAAT programs, Mission ‘Har Payment Digital,’ and ’75 Digital Villages’ are aimed at encouraging digital banking adoption. The RBI’s circular allows foreign nationals and NRIs to use UPI for payments while in India.
- GST Collection and Digital Transaction Growth India’s monthly average gross GST collection showed year-on-year growth of 30% and 22% in FY 2021-22 and FY 2022-23, respectively. Digital transactions experienced significantly higher growth compared to cheque volumes in the same period. RBI’s initiatives like e-BAAT programs and multimedia campaigns have contributed to the increased adoption of digital payments.
- Indian Athletes Excel at Sri Lanka Athletics National Championships Indian athletes performed exceptionally well at the Sri Lanka Athletics National Championships, securing a total of 14 medals, including nine gold, four silver, and one bronze. Notable performances in relay events and individual competitions demonstrated India’s talent in track and field events.
- Mahila Samman Savings Certificate Scheme Launched The Indian Government launched the Mahila Samman Savings Certificate Scheme (MSSC) to celebrate Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav. The scheme is exclusively for women and girls, offering attractive interest rates and flexible withdrawal options. The scheme aims to empower women financially and promote savings among women and girl children.
- Swachh Bharat Mission Phase-II for Urban Flooding Management The Indian Government launched Swachh Bharat Mission (Grameen) Phase-II to make villages Open Defecation Free (ODF Plus) by 2024-25 through Greywater Management (GWM). The program aims to manage urban flooding through various initiatives and groundwater management techniques.
Also Read Our Latest
Download August 1, 2023 Daily Current Affairs in Hindi and English PDF Here
Stay Updated | August 1, 2023 Daily Current Affairs
- Follow us on Facebook , Telegram and Twitter for the latest updates and Daily Current Affairs
- Subscribe to our website for more updates on upcoming exams and results.
Thank you for staying up-to-date with the daily current affairs. If you found this information valuable, consider subscribing to our newsletter for more updates. Stay informed and connected!