Get a quick overview of the latest current affairs updates, including Nepal’s new Foreign Minister, World Haemophilia Day, Hockey Championship in Chennai, Syria’s drug earnings, and the passing of Virginia Norwood, the mother of Landsat.
Keeping up with current affairs is essential to stay informed about the world. In this article, we have compiled the latest updates from around the globe to keep you informed.
1. Nepal’s New Foreign Minister Narayan Prasad Saud, a Congress leader in Nepal, has been appointed as the new Foreign Minister after a sworn-in ceremony held on April 16. President Ram Singh Poudel conducted the oath of office and secrecy at Rashtrapati Bhavan, and this decision was taken during a conference where many ministers were present. Nepal’s Prime Minister Prachanda is expected to visit India in the coming weeks.
2. World Haemophilia Day World Haemophilia Day is celebrated every year on April 17. This day is also the birthday of Frank Schnabel, the founder of the World Federation of Haemophilia. The purpose of this day is to raise awareness about the symptoms of blood disorders and the healthcare facilities available for people suffering from them. Bleeding that often occurs in knees, arms, mouth, gums, skin, etc. can be very dangerous in certain cases, but with particular medications, blood clotting patterns can be controlled.
3. Hockey Championship in Chennai Chennai is going to host the Asian Champions Trophy Hockey Tournament between August 03 to 12, 2023. This will be the seventh edition of the sport, and the Tamil Nadu Sports Minister has announced the event. The last time Chennai hosted an International Hockey Show was in 2007, and the venue was successful for the whole team.
4. Syria Becomes the World’s Largest Narco-State Syria’s earnings are largely from Captagon, making it the largest narco-state in the world. Captagon is a dangerous alternative to amphetamine and is considered an illegal drug globally. It costs only a few dollars, but with bribery and corruption, its price increases to USD 14-20.
5. Virginia Norwood – The Mother of Landsat Virginia Tower Norwood passed away on March 26, 2023, at the age of 96. She was a pioneer in Aerospace and invented the multispectral scanner, which was used in the Landsat Project. This device could measure Earth from Space and provided various images of the planet through which scientists could assess its workings.