Pioneering Change: DEPwD’s Five Initiatives Reshape Disability Rights Landscape
New Delhi, September 11, 2023 – The Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) in India is on a transformative journey towards a more inclusive society. Through strategic partnerships and innovative initiatives, DEPwD is bringing about lasting change. Here are five groundbreaking initiatives that will be launched by Kumari Pratima Bhoumik, MoS, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment:
1. MOU with Council of Architecture
- DEPwD collaborates with the Council of Architecture (COA) to introduce universal accessibility courses in Bachelor of Architecture programs.
- A certified course for architects and civil engineers will be developed to conduct accessibility audits, ensuring compliance with accessibility standards in built environments.
2. Releasing of Anonymous Data of UDID
- DEPwD releases anonymous data through the Unique Disability ID (UDID) portal for research purposes.
- This data-driven approach enhances decision-making in the disability sector, offering valuable insights and informing targeted interventions.
3. PM Daksh Portal
- DEPwD introduces the PM Daksh Portal, a comprehensive digital platform for Persons with Disabilities.
- It provides seamless registration, access to skill training options, job listings, and streamlined administrative processes, empowering individuals with disabilities in their pursuit of training and employment opportunities.
4. Pathways to Access: Courts on Disability Rights
- Notable judgments from India’s Supreme Court and High Courts on disability rights are compiled into a booklet.
- This reference guide serves persons with disabilities and stakeholders in the disability sector, offering clarity on legal precedents.
5. Online Case Monitoring Portal by CCPD
- The Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities (CCPD) adopts a cutting-edge online case monitoring portal.
- This paperless and efficient system facilitates online complaint filing, automated reminders, and simplified hearing scheduling for grievances filed by persons with disabilities.
These initiatives collectively reflect DEPwD’s commitment to fostering inclusivity, advancing disability rights, and leveraging technology to enhance the lives of persons with disabilities in India.
For more information on these initiatives and their impact, stay updated with DEPwD’s initiatives and their impact on disability rights.