New Delhi, September 28, 2023 – In a remarkable achievement, India has retained its 40th rank out of 132 economies in the Global Innovation Index (GII) for the year 2023, as published by the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). This announcement comes as a testament to India’s steadfast commitment to innovation and its incredible progress over the years in the global innovation landscape.
Table of Contents
The Journey of Innovation
India’s journey in the realm of innovation has been nothing short of impressive. Starting from a humble rank of 81 in 2015, the nation has consistently climbed the GII ladder to secure the 40th position in 2023. This remarkable upward trajectory reflects the nation’s dedication to fostering innovation, especially in the face of challenges posed by the ongoing pandemic.
Innovation has emerged as a cornerstone in India’s battle against the pandemic, aligning perfectly with the vision of an “Atma Nirbhar Bharat” or self-reliant India, as championed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Key Factors Driving India’s Innovation Success
Several factors have contributed significantly to India’s success in the GII rankings. These include:
1. Abundant Knowledge Capital
India boasts an immense pool of knowledge capital, with a talented workforce that is globally recognized for its expertise in various fields.
2. Thriving Start-up Ecosystem
The vibrant start-up ecosystem in the country has played a pivotal role in driving innovation. These start-ups have consistently delivered groundbreaking solutions across various industries.
3. Public and Private Research Organizations
Both public and private research organizations have made significant contributions to India’s innovation landscape. Departments like the Department of Science and Technology, Department of Biotechnology, Department of Space, and the Department of Atomic Energy have been instrumental in advancing research and innovation.
4. Government Initiatives
Government initiatives, such as the Atal Innovation Mission, have been crucial in expanding the national innovation ecosystem. Various ministries, including the Ministry of Electronics and IT, Department of Telecommunications, Department of Agricultural Research & Education, and the Department of Health Research, have also played vital roles in this regard.
5. NITI Aayog’s Leadership
NITI Aayog, the national policy think tank, has been at the forefront of driving policy-led innovation. It has worked tirelessly to optimize national efforts in key areas like electric vehicles, biotechnology, nanotechnology, space, and alternative energy sources. NITI Aayog’s role in expanding the innovation ecosystem to states and districts has been instrumental.
The Significance of the Global Innovation Index
The Global Innovation Index (GII) is a vital tool for governments worldwide to assess the socio-economic changes driven by innovation. It has evolved into a valuable policy instrument that allows governments to gauge their innovation strengths and weaknesses, thereby enabling them to plan and strategize for the future.
Collaboration for a Brighter Future
The Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) has been an active collaborator in India’s journey towards becoming an innovation-driven economy. In a momentous occasion, NITI Aayog, in partnership with CII and WIPO, will host the virtual India Launch of GII 2023 on September 29, 2023.
This prestigious event will see the participation of eminent dignitaries, including Shri Suman Bery, Vice-Chairman, NITI Aayog; Dr. V.K. Saraswat, Member, NITI Aayog; Shri BVR Subrahmanyam, Chief Executive Officer, NITI Aayog; Mr. Daren Tang, Director General, WIPO; Dr. Sacha Wunsch-Vincent, Co-Editor, GII & Head, Economics and Statistics Division, WIPO; Dr. Nausad Forbes, Chairman, CII National Committee on Technology, Innovation & Research, and Co-Chairperson, Forbes Marshall; Professor Rishikesha Krishnan, Director, Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore; and Sh. Alok Nanda, Co-Chairman, CII National Committee on Technology, Innovation & Research, and CEO, GE India Technology Centre.
India’s retention of the 40th rank in the Global Innovation Index 2023 is a testament to the nation’s unwavering commitment to fostering innovation across various sectors. With a robust knowledge base, a thriving start-up ecosystem, and concerted efforts from the government and private sector, India’s future as an innovation-driven powerhouse looks exceedingly promising.
🇮🇳 India’s Global Innovation Index 2023 Ranking:
- 📈 India retains its 40th rank out of 132 economies in the Global Innovation Index 2023.
- 📊 India’s GII rank has improved significantly from 81 in 2015 to 40 in 2023.
🪄 Factors Contributing to India’s GII Improvement:
- 🏛️ India’s rising trajectory is attributed to knowledge capital, a vibrant startup ecosystem, and work by public and private research organizations.
- 🌐 Government departments, including Science and Technology, Biotechnology, Space, Atomic Energy, Electronics, IT, Telecommunications, Agriculture Research, and Health Research, played a pivotal role.
- 🚀 The Atal Innovation Mission has significantly expanded the innovation ecosystem.
🤝 NITI Aayog’s Efforts:
- 💼 NITI Aayog has been actively working to promote policy-led innovation in various areas, such as electric vehicles, biotechnology, nanotechnology, space, and alternative energy sources.
- 🌍 NITI Aayog monitors and evaluates India’s global rankings, including the GII.
- 📊 The GII is a vital tool for governments worldwide to assess innovation-led changes.
🤝 Collaboration with CII and WIPO:
- 👥 NITI Aayog, in collaboration with CII and WIPO, is hosting the India Launch of GII 2023 on 29th September 2023.
- 🎉 The launch session will feature senior dignitaries from various organizations.
- What is the Global Innovation Index (GII)? The Global Innovation Index is a comprehensive tool that assesses and ranks countries based on their innovation capabilities and achievements.
- How has India’s rank in the GII evolved over the years? India’s rank in the GII has steadily improved from 81 in 2015 to 40 in 2023.
- What are some key factors contributing to India’s innovation success? Factors include abundant knowledge capital, a thriving start-up ecosystem, contributions from public and private research organizations, and government initiatives.
- What is the significance of the India Launch of GII 2023? The India Launch of GII 2023, hosted by NITI Aayog, CII, and WIPO, is a platform to celebrate and discuss India’s innovation achievements and strategies for the future.
- How can the GII benefit governments and policymakers? The GII provides valuable insights for governments to assess their innovation strengths and weaknesses, helping them plan and strategize for the future.