In a bid to nurture the scientific curiosity of India’s young minds and ignite their passion for space exploration, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) initiated the Young Scientists Programme YUVIKA. This program, also known as “YUva VIgyani KAryakram,” aims to introduce high school students to the captivating realms of Space Technology, Space Science, and Space Applications. With the recently concluded YUVIKA-2023 and the upcoming YUVIKA-2024, ISRO is taking significant strides towards promoting STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) education among India’s youth.
Table of Contents
YUVIKA-2023: A Resounding Success
The grand inauguration of YUVIKA-2023 on May 15, 2023, marked a pivotal moment in the program’s history. Shri S Somanath, Chairman ISRO and Secretary DoS, graced the occasion with his presence and set the stage for 352 bright high school students from across the nation to embark on a transformative two-week journey. These young scholars were selected to participate in this residential program, which was conducted across seven ISRO Centers: VSSC Trivandrum, SAC Ahmedabad, URSC Bengaluru, SDSC Sriharikota, NRSC Hyderabad, IIRS Dehradun, and NE-SAC Shillong.
A Glimpse into YUVIKA’s Curriculum
YUVIKA aligns with the objectives of India’s National Education Policy – 2020 by targeting the youth and focusing on STEM, particularly Space Science and Technology. Over the two weeks, students experience an immersive learning environment that includes:
- Interaction with Eminent Scientists: YUVIKA offers students the rare opportunity to engage with distinguished scientists, gaining insights into the captivating world of space exploration.
- Classroom Lectures: Comprehensive classroom sessions equip students with fundamental knowledge in Space Technology and Science.
- Hands-on Activities: The program goes beyond theory, offering hands-on experiences like Model Rocketry, Sky Gazing, Robotic Coding, CANSAT Experiments, and DIY Kits Assembly.
- Facility Visits: Students get behind-the-scenes access to ISRO’s state-of-the-art facilities, witnessing firsthand the cutting-edge technology used in space missions.
Selection Process and Eligibility Criteria
The selection process for YUVIKA is designed to identify promising young minds. The criteria include:
- Performance in 8th Std Examination (50%): Academic excellence is a key factor in the selection process.
- Membership in Science/Space Club (5%): Participation in clubs dedicated to science or space-related activities is rewarded.
- Extracurricular Achievements (2/4/6/10%): Achievements in activities such as Elocution, Debate, Essay Writing, Science Quizzes, and more at District/State/National/International levels are recognized.
- Sports Achievements (2/4/6/10%): Success in District/State/National/International sports competitions also contributes to the selection process.
- Scout and Guides/NCC/NSS Membership (5%): Membership in these organizations is given due weightage.
- Studying in Rural Schools (20%): Students from rural areas receive special consideration, with a focus on schools located in Panchayath areas.
In case of a tie between candidates, preference is given to the younger applicant. Online registration is the avenue for selection, with eligible students having just completed the 9th standard or in the process of joining the 10th standard.
YUVIKA-2023: A Stellar Success Story
ISRO’s commitment to fostering scientific curiosity and nurturing the next generation of space enthusiasts was showcased during the successful conclusion of YUVIKA-2023 on May 26, 2023. A total of 337 students from all 28 states and 8 union territories underwent this enriching two-week journey at seven ISRO/DoS Centres. The program was a holistic experience, blending classroom learning with hands-on activities, cultural pursuits, and interaction with eminent scientists.
On the valedictory day, Chairman ISRO, Shri S. Somanath, and Centre Directors engaged with the students, encouraging them to become ISRO’s brand ambassadors, spreading scientific knowledge and contributing to the nation’s scientific growth.
YUVIKA-2024: A Glimpse into the Future
With the resounding success of YUVIKA-2023, ISRO has announced the launch of YUVIKA-2024. This continuation of the “Catch them young” initiative aims to deepen students’ interest in STEM subjects and space exploration. Here’s a sneak peek into YUVIKA-2024:
- Announcement of the Programme by ISRO: March 2024
- Registration Commencement: March 2024
- Registration Deadline: April 2024
- Release of First Selection List: April 2024
- Release of Second Selection List (if needed): April 2024
- Student Reporting at ISRO Centres: May 2024
- YUVIKA Programme Dates: May 2024
- Student Send-off from ISRO Centres: May 2024
Participating ISRO Centres:
- Space Applications Centre (SAC), Ahmedabad
- U. R. Rao Satellite Centre (URSC), Bengaluru
- Satish Dhavan Space Center (SDSC) Sriharikota
- Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS), Dehradun
- National Remote Sensing Centre (NRSC), Hyderabad
- North-Eastern Space Applications Centre (NE-SAC), Shillong
- Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC), Thiruvananthapuram
ISRO places equal importance on academic performance and extracurricular activities in the YUVIKA Selection Criteria:
- Marks in Class 8th Exam (50%)
- Online Quiz Performance (10%)
- Science Fair Participation (2%/5%/10%)
- Olympiad Ranking (2%/4%/5%)
- Sports Achievements (2%/4%/5%)
- Scout and Guides/NCC/NSS Membership (5%)
- Rural/Village Schooling (15%)
To be eligible for YUVIKA-2024, students must:
- Be studying in class 9th as of January 1, 2024.
- Be studying within India.
The registration process for YUVIKA-2024 is expected to commence in March 2024. Here’s how you can apply:
- Visit the official website of Antriksh Jigyasa: jigyasa.iirs.gov.in/yuvika
- Click on “Join Now.”
- Fill in the registration form with accurate details, including name, email, phone number, class, school, and more.
- Click “Register,” as there are no registration fees.
After registration, log in to the portal to provide further details about your academic performance and extracurricular activities.
Travel Expenditure Reimbursement:
ISRO extends support by reimbursing travel expenses incurred by selected students. Key points to note include:
- ISRO covers the travel cost of the selected student only.
- The reimbursement is for 2nd AC train fare or AC bus fare from the nearest railway station or bus terminal to the reporting centre and back.
- Original tickets must be presented to claim reimbursement.
Benefits of YUVIKA for Students
Participating in YUVIKA opens doors to a world of opportunities for young scholars:
- Comprehensive Knowledge: Students gain in-depth insights into space exploration, technology, and science.
- Hands-On Experience: YUVIKA provides practical experience in the field of space research and technology.
- Networking: Participants connect with ISRO professionals, fostering potential career prospects.
- Free of Cost: The entire program, including course materials and lodging, is sponsored by ISRO.
In conclusion, YUVIKA is not just a program; it’s a launchpad for young Indian minds to explore the cosmos. With the upcoming YUVIKA-2024, ISRO continues its journey of nurturing future scientists and space enthusiasts who will undoubtedly play a pivotal role in India’s scientific growth and space endeavors. Stay tuned for more updates and be ready to embark on a voyage of discovery with ISRO’s YUVIKA.
For more information and updates, visit the official YUVIKA website.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who is eligible for ISRO Yuvika?
To be eligible for ISRO Yuvika, students must:
Be studying in class 9th as of January 1, 2024.
Be studying within India.
What is Yuvika in ISRO?
Yuvika in ISRO refers to the “Young Scientist Programme” or “YUva VIgyani KAryakram.” It is a special initiative by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) aimed at imparting basic knowledge on Space Technology, Space Science, and Space Applications to young students. The program is designed to ignite their interest in STEM subjects and space exploration and is part of ISRO’s “Catch them young” initiative.
3. What are the benefits of Yuvika?
The Yuvika programme by ISRO offers several benefits to students:
Comprehensive Knowledge: Participants gain in-depth insights into space exploration, technology, and science.
Hands-On Experience: Yuvika provides practical experience in the field of space research and technology.
Networking: Students connect with ISRO professionals, fostering potential career prospects.
Free of Cost: The entire program, including course materials and lodging, is sponsored by ISRO.
4. Can I apply for YUVIKA through my school?
No, all students need to apply directly to ISRO through the Antriksh Jigyasa portal.