The Department of Pharmaceuticals, Government of India, FIND, and Unitaid hosted a high-level meeting to discuss the establishment of an R&D and manufacturing network for diagnostics. Manufacturers and international organizations attended the meeting to provide recommendations on creating a sustainable diagnostic manufacturing network.
The COVID-19 pandemic highlighted the need for quality and affordable medical countermeasures worldwide. The Department of Pharmaceuticals, Government of India, FIND, and Unitaid recognized this need and hosted a meeting to discuss the creation of a sustainable diagnostic manufacturing network.
- The Department of Pharmaceuticals, Government of India, FIND, and Unitaid hosted a high-level meeting to strengthen cooperation and enable sustainable development and manufacturing of effective, quality, and affordable diagnostic countermeasures.
- The meeting aimed to provide recommendations to the G20 and its Member States and international partners on the establishment of an R&D and manufacturing network for diagnostics.
- Representatives of the Government of India and G20 Member States, international organizations, and over 20 diagnostics manufacturers from around the world attended the meeting.
- The meeting discussed the regional development of diagnostics products through region-appropriate research and decentralized production of diagnostics to help reduce disparities, enhance health security, including pandemic prevention, preparedness, and response capabilities, support UHC, and contribute to regional economic growth.
- The manufacturers showed their interest in establishing partnerships to facilitate the transfer of technology, know-how, and capacity building.
- They stressed the need for countries to develop national diagnostic strategies with concrete budget allocations and procurement frameworks prioritizing sourcing of regionally manufactured tests.
- They also highlighted the need for governments and development partners to continue strengthening regulatory mechanisms and make clear commitments to facilitate harmonization and fast-track regulatory processes for regionally manufactured products.
- The meeting recommended funding to create and maintain capacity for coordinated global manufacturing, R&D, and technology transfer.
- The G20 second health working group meeting has outlined “Strengthening cooperation in the pharmaceutical sector with a focus on availability & access to safe, effective, quality, and affordable medical countermeasures — diagnostics, vaccines, and therapeutics” as a key priority.
Thank you for learning about the efforts of the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Government of India, FIND, and Unitaid to establish a sustainable diagnostic manufacturing network. Don’t forget to subscribe and follow for more updates on global healthcare initiatives.
More Info on https://unitaid.org/