18th May 2023 | Top Evening Current Affairs: Welcome to our evening current affairs roundup, where we bring you the most significant news and events happening around the world. Stay informed and up-to-date with the latest happenings across various categories.
18th May 2023 | Top Evening Current Affairs
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi Inaugurates International Museum Expo 2023, Promoting Cultural Heritage and Sustainability
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the International Museum Expo 2023 in New Delhi. He emphasized the importance of museums in connecting the past and future and promoting sustainability and well-being. The expo showcases the country’s cultural heritage and aims to create a vibrant museum movement. The Prime Minister unveiled the expo mascot, a graphic novel, a directory of Indian museums, a pocket map, and museum cards. The event also featured a virtual walkthrough of the upcoming National Museum and international delegations.
2. Siddaramaiah to Become Chief Minister of Karnataka with D K Shivakumar as Deputy: Swearing-in Ceremony Scheduled
Siddaramaiah will be the next Chief Minister of Karnataka, with D K Shivakumar as his deputy. Shivakumar will also continue as the PCC president until the end of parliamentary elections. The swearing-in ceremony is scheduled for Saturday. The Karnataka Congress legislature party will meet in Bengaluru, and all elected Congress MLAs, members of the Legislative Council, and Members of Parliament from Karnataka have been invited.
3. Union Sports Minister presents National Sports Awards to Awardees at Special Ceremony
Union Sports Minister Anurag Singh Thakur handed over citations and trophies to three National Sports Awardees: Anjum Moudgil, Sarpal Singh, and the family of Naresh Kumar. The awards were received at a small gathering, with Anjum receiving her 2019 Arjuna award and Sarpal Singh receiving his 2021 Dronacharya award. Naresh Kumar’s granddaughter, Shivanie Mirchandani, collected his 2020 Dronacharya award on his behalf.
4. First Inter-Ministerial Committee Meeting for World Food India 2023: Preparations and Partnerships Discussed
The first Inter-Ministerial Committee Meeting was held to discuss preparations for World Food India 2023. Ministries, departments, and organizations were encouraged to participate actively and support the event. Officials provided suggestions for sessions and expressed their commitment to assisting the Ministry of Food Processing Industries. The next meeting will be held in June 2023 to solidify partnerships. The Investment Facilitation Cell and event partner were tasked with coordinating the action plan.
5. Mineral production in March 2023 increased by 6.8% compared to March 2022. Important minerals, including copper, chromite, and phosphorite, showed positive growth.
6. Ministry of Ayush and Health Prioritize Integrative Health at National Ayush Mission Conclave
The Ministry of Ayush and Ministry of Health & Family Welfare are prioritizing “Integrative Health” for public health. The National Ayush Mission Conclave was inaugurated by Shri Sarbananda Sonowal, and two ICT initiatives were launched. The conclave aims to strengthen Ayush services and promote holistic approaches to reduce disease burden. The National Ayush Mission is enhancing the availability and quality of Ayush healthcare services through Ayush Health Wellness Centers. Over 8,500 centers have been set up across India.
7. UPSC recruitment results for March 2023 have been finalized. Successful candidates have been notified individually, while other applicants were not selected.
8. Seven Religious Sites Connected by Waterways in Guwahati: Riverine Tourism Circuit Project
MoU signing on May 19, 2023, will connect seven religious sites in Guwahati through a riverine tourism circuit. The project is part of the Sagarmala Programme, with an initial cost of Rs. 40-45 crores. The circuit will reduce travel time to less than 2 hours and involve the usage of free Ghats near the temples.
9. Dwarka Expressway: India’s First 8-Lane Access Control Project Nearing Completion by April 2024
The first 8-lane access control Dwarka Expressway, spanning 29.6 km and costing Rs 9000 crore, is expected to be nearly completed by April 2024, according to Union Minister Nitin Gadkari. The expressway features a 34-meter width and is being constructed on a single pillar in Haryana and Delhi. It includes various levels such as flyovers, tunnels, underpasses, and elevated roads, as well as a 3-lane service road on each side. The project aims to enhance connectivity between Haryana, West Delhi, and the Indira Gandhi International Airport. The expressway will intersect several roads and railways and will incorporate an Intelligent Transport System (ITS) facility.
10. Lateral Recruitment for Government Positions: Apply for Joint Secretary, Director, and Deputy Secretary Roles on Contract Basis
Applications are being invited for lateral recruitment on a contract basis for Joint Secretary, Director, and Deputy Secretary positions in various government departments and ministries. Four Joint Secretaries and 16 Directors/Deputy Secretaries will be hired through this process. Interested candidates can apply between May 20 and June 19, 2023. The selection will be based on online applications and shortlisted candidates will be called for an interview.
11. April 2023 Secretariat Reforms Report: Grievances Resolved, Ministries Achieve 100% e-Receipts, and Cleanliness Campaign Success
April 2023 Secretariat Reforms report released:
- 3,25,665 public grievances resolved, 1,37,994 files reviewed, and 1,16,538 files eliminated.
- 30 Ministries/Departments achieved 100% e-Receipts.
- Cleanliness Campaign conducted at 3,159 sites, freeing 7.22 lakh sq. ft. of space.
- Rs 29.26 crore revenue earned from scrap disposal.
- Various departments implemented delayering and delegation orders.
- 75 Ministries adopted e-Office 7.0.
- Best practices include revamping portals and capacity building initiatives.
12. Australia Beats India 4-2 in Women’s Hockey Series Opener
Australia defeats India 4-2 in the first of five matches in the Women’s Hockey series. The game took place in Adelaide, Australia, and the next match is scheduled for the 20th of this month. The series is part of India’s preparations for the Hangzhou Asian Games 2023. Australia is ranked third in the world, while India is ranked eighth.
Thank you for reading our top evening current affairs. Stay connected and subscribe to our newsletter for daily updates. Follow us on social media for more news and insights.|18th May 2023 | Top Evening Current Affairs