Get a quick overview of the significant events from August 23, 2023, and stay informed about the latest happenings.
August 23, 2023 Current Affairs Highlights
In a world that’s constantly evolving, staying informed about current affairs is crucial. August 23, 2023, witnessed a range of impactful events that have the potential to shape our future. From global developments to local news, let’s delve into the highlights of the day.
- Ministry of Sports Approves Foreign Training for Bajrang and Deepak Punia: The Ministry of Sports has given the green light to Bajrang Punia and Deepak Punia’s training proposals for foreign training. Both athletes are set to train abroad, with Bajrang training in Kyrgyzstan from August 21 to September 28 and Deepak in Russia from August 23 to September 28. Travel arrangements will be finalized upon receiving their responses along with fitness certificates.
- Sports Minister Honors Archers for World Championships Success: Sports Minister Anurag Singh Thakur honored medal-winning Compound and Recurve archers who excelled in the World Championships in Berlin and World Cup 2023. India secured 5 medals in Paris (2 gold, 3 bronze) and 4 medals in Berlin (3 gold, 1 bronze). Young archers Aditi Gopichand Swami and Ojas Pravin Deotale were highlighted for their outstanding performances.
- Chandrayaan-3’s Ambitious Mission to South Pole: India’s Chandrayaan-3 mission is aiming for a historic moon landing at the South Pole. The Lander Vikram, carrying Rover Pragyan, is facing a challenging descent over a 25 km distance. If successful, India will become the fourth country to softly land on the Moon. The mission involves advanced cameras, sensors, and an altimeter to guide the landing process.
- Sachin Tendulkar Named National Icon for Voter Awareness: Cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar has been designated as the ‘National Icon’ for voter awareness and education under the Election Commission of India. This collaboration seeks to leverage Tendulkar’s influence to increase youth participation in elections and address challenges related to urban and youth apathy.
- PM Modi Attends 15th BRICS Summit in South Africa: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi embarked on a journey to South Africa to attend the 15th BRICS Summit. The summit marks the 30th anniversary of India-South Africa diplomatic ties. PM Modi participated in discussions surrounding the “BRICS – Africa Outreach and BRICS Plus Dialogue” event, engaged in bilateral meetings, and shared insights on BRICS expansion.
- India-US Collaborative Research Proposals Announced: India and the US have jointly called for research proposals under the MeitY-NSF collaboration. The initiative, focused on semiconductor research, communication technologies, cybersecurity, and more, encourages partnerships with industry and local communities. The proposal submission process began on August 21, 2023, and will continue until January 5, 2024.
- Indian Journal of Biochemistry and Biophysics Special Issue: The Indian Journal of Biochemistry and Biophysics (IJBB) released a special issue on “Biological Electron Microscopy and Nanobiotechnology” as part of the ‘Meri Maati Mera Desh’ campaign and the G20. The issue contains 6 research papers covering trends in these fields, with contributions from experts like Prof. Ranjana Aggarwal and Prof. Stephen Dimitrov.
- Historic Victory for Indian Powerlifters at World Para Powerlifting Championships: Indian powerlifters Honey Dabas and Rahul Jograjiya made history by securing gold and silver medals at the World Para Powerlifting Championships in Dubai. This achievement marks India’s first-ever gold and silver medals in any World Championships.
- Union Minister Sonowal Announces WHO’s Gujarat Declaration: The WHO is set to release the Gujarat Declaration on Traditional Medicine, underscoring the global importance of Traditional Medicine for Universal Health Coverage. This announcement followed the sharing of initial findings from a global survey on Traditional Medicine during a summit. The outcomes will influence WHO’s strategic plan for Traditional Medicine (2025-2034).
- Union Minister Dr. Jitendra Singh’s Talks on Space Collaboration with Mauritius: Union Minister Dr. Jitendra Singh discussed increased international collaborations in the space sector, highlighting India’s willingness to collaborate as an equal partner in space endeavors. Discussions with Mauritius’ IT Minister explored joint satellite proposals and ISRO’s ground station expansion in Mauritius for third-party missions.
- ‘Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav’ Campaign Achievements: The ‘Meri Maati Mera Desh’ campaign has resulted in the planting of over 17 lakh saplings and the establishment of more than 25 thousand Amrit Vatikas. The campaign focuses on environmental conservation and has seen participation from over 4 crore people taking the oath of Panch Pran.
- PM Modi’s International Engagements: Prime Minister Narendra Modi attended the 15th BRICS Summit in South Africa, where he emphasized India’s role as a future global growth engine and projected the economy to reach five trillion dollars soon. He also announced his plans to visit Greece for bilateral discussions and community interactions on August 25.
Trivia Insights: Current Affairs Highlights
- The 15th BRICS Summit is chaired by South Africa, marking 30 years of India-South Africa diplomatic ties.
- The 20th ASEAN-India Economic Ministers’ meeting took place in Indonesia, fostering economic cooperation.
- Nitin Gadkari launched the Bharat New Car Assessment Program (Bharat NCAP) to elevate road safety.
- Bishombhar Prasad Shrestha assumed the role of Nepal’s new Chief Justice.
- The Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency (IREDA) partnered with the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy through an MoU.
- R Praggnanandha made history by becoming the second Indian to reach the final of the Chess World Cup.
- Madhya Pradesh unveiled the Chief Minister’s Learn-Earn scheme to empower individuals through skill development.
- Australia hosted the Malabar Exercise 2023, strengthening maritime cooperation and security.
Thank you for taking the time to read through the key events of August 23, 2023. By staying informed, we empower ourselves with knowledge about the world around us. Don’t miss out on any future updates – subscribe and follow us for more insights.
Download August 23, 2023 Daily Current Affairs in Hindi and English PDF Here
Stay Updated | Current Affairs Newsletter – August 23, 2023
- Follow us on Facebook , Telegram and Twitter for the latest Education News updates and Daily Current Affairs
- Subscribe to our website for more updates on upcoming exams and results.